Newbie needs a function (how sad)

  1. #1
    tjr
    Guest

    Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    I am trying to create a function in a checkbook register type workbook that
    will do the following:
    if name in column a = x and date in column c = y then add the numbers in
    column f that pertain to both x and y.
    I am trying to break down monthly spending at specific places - as in -
    walmart purchases in january.
    Is this possible?
    Thank you for any assistance

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    if you have 1 in a cell, say Y1

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="WalMart"),--(MONTH(C1:C100)=Y1),F1:F100)

    or if you have the text January in Y1, then

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="WalMart"),--(TEXT(C1:C100,"mmmm")=Y1),F1:F100)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    Now I have a #NUM! error but at least have a valid function, any ideas?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    I have just tested them both again, and they work fine.

    Which did you use, what do you have in C1:C100 (examples of the data), and
    what in Y1

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    CAN I SEND YOU A COPY OF PART OF THE WORKSHEET?
    I am completely at a loss.
    tjr

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    Yes, feel free. Not the spam spoiler in my email address.

    Bob

  7. #7
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    ??SORRY??WHERE

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    If you open a post by anyone, and then click on the name in the from box,
    you will see the email address. Mine is

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    Try again.

    If you open a post by anyone, and then click on the name in the from box,
    you will see the email address. Mine is adulterated as a basic protection
    mechanism, but my signature tells you what to do.

    But to spell it out, post it to

    bob dot phillips at tiscali dot co dot uk

    do the obvious with that.

  10. #10
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    I think I figured it out nothere...

  11. #11
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    Ouch! Please remember that I really don't know what I am doing and this
    project that I have created for myself is truly making me insane.
    Did the file reach you?

  12. #12
    tjr
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)

    THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

  13. #13
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Newbie needs a function (how sad)