Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    Hi,
    Little help please,
    with best technique to perform multiple calculations.

    A1 FileNum Customer (TotalWorkOrders by Customer)
    A2 04555501 Acme
    A3 04555502 Acme
    A4 4555503 Acme
    A5 04123401 BBB
    A6 04123402 BBB
    A7 03111101 XYZ
    A8 31111101 xyz

    I'm trying to calculate;
    the total number of work-orders by customer, where a workorder can have
    multiple projects associated with it.

    The work-order must be extracted or derived from the FileNum column
    The 8 digit FileNum is made up of three components.
    04-5555-01 (year-workorder-project)

    This is where I need help, can I do this in one array formula?;

    1. custom format? to add leading zeros to those without.
    2. Extract work-order by Triming leading## and trailng## ,sometimes###
    3. Count equal workorders only once
    4. Sum the number of work-orders conditional upon customer

    I know how to use the functions individually, but am confused as to
    grouping them in one formula.
    eg. Trim/Count/Sum IF "criteria1"="criteria2"
    grateful for any ideas on best practice,

    bobd

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    =COUNTIF(C1:C1000,"Acme")
    =COUNTIF(C1:C1000,"BBB"), etc.
    You can use Data/Filter/Advanced filter to get a unique list of your
    customers, then , assuming this list starts in F2:
    =COUNTIF($C$1:$C$1000,F2)
    and fill down to the last customer.

    Bob Umlas, MVP
    FYI, I'll be leading a LIVE 1-hour FREE webinar on tips & tricks on January
    27 from 4-5 PM est. It's done from your computer. To find out more &
    register, go to http://www.iil.com, click on the yellowish rectangle on the
    left "Try a free webinar", click the link for Microsoft Tips & Tricks. Maybe
    I'll "see" you there!

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    Bob,
    thanks for your reply and look forward to your webcast.

    Wasn' t able to get your suggestion to work,
    Have not had much luck with CountIf function.
    Won't this function count duplicate work orders?

    What if I I copy the filenum column to new column called workorder,
    filter out workorder number ,
    and then create columns by customer
    then use =COUNTIF(C1:C1000,"Acme")
    Is that what you meant?

    bobd

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    Perhaps something along these lines may be of some help ..

    Assume the table below is in Sheet1,
    cols B and C, data from row2 down

    FileNum Customer
    04555501 Acme
    04555502 Acme
    4555503 Acme
    04123401 BBB
    04123402 BBB
    03111101 XYZ
    3111101 xyz [corrected]

    We'll use 3 empty cols to the right

    Put in D2:
    =IF(B2="","",LEFT(MID(TEXT(B2,"00000000"),3,99),4))

    (Col D extracts the work orders [WO] from col B)

    Put in E2: =C2&D2

    Put in F2: =IF(E2="","",IF(COUNTIF($E$2:E2,E2)>1,"",ROW()))

    Select D2:F2, fill down to say, F1000, to cover expected data in cols B and

    (Cols E & F will identify unique Cust - WO and assign these uniques with
    arbitrary row#s in col F)

    In Sheet2
    -------------
    List across in A1:C1 : Cust, WO, Total WO

    Put in A2:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(Sheet1!$F:$F,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(Sheet1!C:C,MATCH(SMA
    LL(Sheet1!$F:$F,ROWS($A$1:A1)),Sheet1!$F:$F,0)))

    Copy A2 across to B2

    Put in C2: =IF(B2="","",COUNTIF(Sheet1!D:D,B2))

    Select A2:C2, fill down to C1000
    to cover the same range size in Sheet1

    Cols A and B will extract the unique list of Cust and associated WO,
    col C returns the total (count) of the WOs in col B

    For the sample data in Sheet1, you'll get:

    Cust WO Total WO
    Acme 5555 3
    BBB 1234 2
    XYZ 1111 2
    (rest are blanks: "")

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5

    Re: Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    Many thanks Max,

    The code you provided works wonderfully.
    I never would have figured that on my own.
    I'll spend tonight trying to understand the logic behind it.
    thanks again,
    great stuff

    bobd

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Best technique to perform multiple calculations ?

    You're welcome, Bob !
    Thanks for the feedback ..
    --
    Rgds

[...]