How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

  1. #1
    Lillian F
    Guest

    How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    I need the formula to calculate dates (Mondy to Friday) without counting the
    weekends

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Lillian F <Lillian [email protected]> wrote:

    > I need the formula to calculate dates (Mondy to Friday) without counting the
    > weekends

    You can use the NETWORKDAYS function...

    =NETWORKDAYS(StartDate,EndDate,Holidays)

    You'll need to enable the AnalysisToolpak...

    Tools > Add-Ins > and check AnalysisToolpak.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:25:01 -0800, Lillian F <Lillian
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I need the formula to calculate dates (Mondy to Friday) without counting the
    >weekends

    Use HELP to look at the NetWorkdays function
    --ron

  4. #4
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    And if you can't use NETWORKDAYS because your girlfriend
    can't find the Office install CD for her home PC and thus
    you can't install the Analysis ToolPak add-in, try:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(TEXT(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),"ddd"))
    <>"S"))

    ;-)
    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    Typical bloke, blame the girlfriend :-). Anyway, Lillian could be a female
    name as well as a guy's.

    Nice formula though.

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    Jason,

    That's a neat formula, and it has the advantage over NETWORKDAYS of not
    mattering which order you put the dates in (that has always been an
    annoyance of NETWORKDAYS to me). I thought it would be improved a bit if you
    used

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2)<6))

    as it doesn't have to do any string matching then, and it removes one nested
    function. Furthermore, it can omit Fridays more easily if you test for < 5,
    or even use an array of allowable days, such as {3,4,5} (making by beautiful
    UDF redundant :-)). The obvious disadvantage is that NETWORKDAYS can
    exclude holidays, but I came up with this version to do the same

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2)<6))-SUMPRODUCT(--(COUNTIF
    (holidays,ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)))>0),--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2
    )<6))

    I know you are a formula ace, so I wondered if this can be simplified?

  7. #7
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    Bob-

    Thanks. Actually, I was going to respond using your exact
    formula that uses the typical WEEKDAY method, but decided
    to be a little different. You're right though - it does
    add another nested function. Harlan Grove would have a fit!
    Sometimes I just want to try something new and creative,
    even if it is a little less efficient. I think it's
    important to explore new methods. While they initially may
    be cumbersome and less efficient than the typical "canned"
    solution, they are often improved by others (that's why I
    love the NGs).

    I'm leaving for a party, so I don't have time to play with
    the holiday portion, but I like your formula - it's
    probably what I would have arrived at. But I'll work on it
    later.

    As for the girlfriend, using her PC at her house kills me.
    Windows 98 (ah!), Excel 2000, and no install CD, and no
    VBA help file.

    Regards,

    Jason

    PS - I'm still waiting for those white papers in
    your "coming soon" section on your home page, esp. the VBA
    Best Practices. I still need a lot of help on my VBA
    skills!

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    "Jason Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sometimes I just want to try something new and creative,
    > even if it is a little less efficient. I think it's
    > important to explore new methods. While they initially may
    > be cumbersome and less efficient than the typical "canned"
    > solution, they are often improved by others (that's why I
    > love the NGs).

    I agree with you on that. Open the door, and soemone will furnishg the room
    :-). And as you say, the NGs are for exploring the options as well as
    providing a solution.

    > I'm leaving for a party, so I don't have time to play with
    > the holiday portion, but I like your formula - it's
    > probably what I would have arrived at. But I'll work on it
    > later.

    Lucky you, it's nearly bedtime here. Also, just spotted another thread on a
    similar topic, and Domenic provided a formula which is the obvious extension
    (read improvement) on mine, which I think is where you would also have taken
    it. This is that formula

    =SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2<6)*(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(IND
    IRECT(J1&":"&K1)),holidays,0))))

    which can also use the array of allowable day numbers.

    > PS - I'm still waiting for those white papers in
    > your "coming soon" section on your home page, esp. the VBA
    > Best Practices. I still need a lot of help on my VBA
    > skills!

    Major life changes at the moment have pre-occupied me. I have about 6 papers
    to complete, and 3 add-ins, so I need to buckle down :-).

    Regards

    Bob

  9. #9
    Robert
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    Dear Bob, J1=1-Feb-05, K1=4-Feb0-5. Using the formula below,
    I get 18 instead of 4. If 3-Feb-05 is entered in "holidays", I get 13.
    What error returns those numbers. Note the the formula has an extra")" when
    accepting MS suggested prompt over the post by you. Tks

    =SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2<6)*(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),holidays,0)))))

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to Calculate Dates without counting the weekends

    Robert,

    Got a bracket out of line. Try this version instead

    =SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),2)<6)*(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(IN
    DIRECT(J1&":"&K1)),holidays,0))))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11