Date?

  1. #1
    Ken
    Guest

    Date?

    Excel 2000 ... I have a date (01/01/05) in cell V1.

    In 12 other cells I would like to put formula that will
    give me months of year January, February, March (complete
    spelling) based on Date entered in Cell V1.

    Row 6 ... January ... February ... March
    Row 12 ... April ... May ... June
    Row 18 ... July ... August ... September
    Row 24 ... October ... November ... December

    I have 4 rows by 3 columns of date Fields that I wish to
    fill in using a formula ... Thanks ... Kha

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Melbourne
    My solution is as follows

    Current Month formula - =DATE(YEAR($V$1),MONTH($V$1),1)

    2nd Month - =DATE(YEAR($V$1),MONTH($V$1)+1,1)
    3rd Month - =DATE(YEAR($V$1),MONTH($V$1)+2,1)
    4th MOnth - =DATE(YEAR($V$1),MONTH($V$1)+3,1)
    etc

    HTH

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Date?

    Ken,

    Assume your row6 entry starts at cell A6, enter a direct reference to cell
    V1. For example in cell A6 enter:

    =V1

    then, go to custom formatting in cell A6 and use the "mmmm" format. You
    should get the complete spelling of "January".

    To get February, go to cell B6 and enter

    =A6 + 28

    then, go to custom formatting in cell B6 and use the "mmmm" format. You
    should get the complete spelling of "February".

    The same logic applies for the rest of the months.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    IC
    Guest

    Re: Date?

    Two points.

    1. In the example given below, you need to add 31, not 28 days to get to
    February.
    2. The method will only work for non leap years. For a leap year, you would
    have to add 29 days to February to get March.
    3. I assume the date in V1 will not necessarily be January or 1st of the
    month so this static method will not work.

    As an alternative, use =EDATE(V1,x) where x is the number of months you want
    to add. This function requires the Analysis Toolpak (ATP) to be installed
    and activated in Excel (Thanks to Max for his pointer).

    Ian

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ken