Min formula not returning value from Index

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Min formula not returning value from Index

    I have a formula that looks like this:

    =INDEX($E$21:$W$35,MATCH($B40,$B$21:$B$35,0),0)

    I want to wrap a Min formula around the result of value
    that arises from the formaul and another cell E38:

    =Min(E38, INDEX($E$21:$W$35,MATCH($B40,$B$21:$B$35,0),0))

    However, when I do this, it seems to produce a value that
    is neither E38 nor the value from the Index. It seems to
    be pulling a value from the array within the index. Can
    I wrap something around the index to ensure that only the
    values from E38 and the Index are included in the calc.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Min formula not returning value from Index

    I just created an array of the same dimensions you used and tested with some
    different values and it works fine? I assume you know that if you use zero in
    the index formula it will return an array of values from the same row as the
    match, thus if the match returns 7 index will return an array of all values
    in E27:W27 thus min will pick among all those values and the value in D38. If
    you meant to just compare D38 with one value you need to specify the column
    number with anything >0 in INDEX

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Min formula not returning value from Index

    The INDEX bit does not specify a single value. From E to W, where do you
    want INDEX return a value?

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Min formula not returning value from Index

    Actually if you array enter it using 19 cells across it will return the
    whole row

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...