help with simple addition formula

  1. #1
    Juco
    Guest

    help with simple addition formula

    The formula below I am using to add 3 cells. I would like it to add M8 in to
    the addition only if M7 is blank. How do I adjust my formula to do this?

    M7+M13+M14

    thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: help with simple addition formula

    One way:

    =IF(M7="",M8+M13+M14,M7+M13+M14)

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: help with simple addition formula

    Here's one idea assuming "blank" means there is nothing in the cell.

    =M7+M13+M14+IF(ISBLANK(M7),M8,0)

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  4. #4
    Juco
    Guest

    Re: help with simple addition formula

    Not quite working for me, Maybe the bit below will explain better. I need
    to add up M13 M14 in M15 then either M7 or M8 M7 is a weekly rental cost
    M8 is a total rental cost Some people might just fill in the weekly if
    only renting for one week and leave the total blank, hence the reason i want
    to pick up either or of M7 and M8. M8 if they have put the total in if not
    then M7.
    Hope I am not getting confusing now

    Weekly rental M7
    Total rental M8
    Airport transfer req.
    Yes or No no
    Welcome pack req.
    Yes or No no
    Transfer cost return M13
    Welcome pack M14
    Total rental M15

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: help with simple addition formula

    Would this idea work? There's no error checking though:

    = M13+M14+IF(ISBLANK(M7),M8,M7)

    or maybe something like this:
    = M13+M14+MAX(M7,M8)

    Not sure how to set up some type of error checking for you though.

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  6. #6
    Aladin Akyurek

    Juco wrote:
    > Not quite working for me, Maybe the bit below will explain better. I need
    > to add up M13 M14 in M15 then either M7 or M8 M7 is a weekly rental cost
    > M8 is a total rental cost Some people might just fill in the weekly if
    > only renting for one week and leave the total blank, hence the reason i want
    > to pick up either or of M7 and M8. M8 if they have put the total in if not
    > then M7.
    > Hope I am not getting confusing now
    >

    > Weekly rental M7
    > Total rental M8
    > Airport transfer req.
    > Yes or No no
    > Welcome pack req.
    > Yes or No no
    > Transfer cost return M13
    > Welcome pack M14
    > Total rental M15

    [...]

    Perhaps...

    =SUM(M13:M15,IF(N(M8),M8,M7))

  7. #7
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    How about simply this:

    In M15 type: =M13+M14+MAX(M7,M8)

    OR same thing but written a different way: =SUM(M13:M14,MAX(M7:M8))
    Last edited by Cutter; 01-29-2005 at 10:22 AM.