How to display a blank cell with no error message

  1. #1
    Juco
    Guest

    How to display a blank cell with no error message

    when i clear all the cells in the formula below I get #VALUE! showing in
    the cell (M15)
    Is there a way to just show a blank cell? and not have this message
    showing.

    thanks

    =M7+M8+M13+M14

  2. #2

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    How do you clear the cells.

    I'm guessing you hit the spacebar. That doesn't clear the cell--it puts in a
    space character. (It may look the same, but it's not.)

    Try clearing the cells by hitting the delete key on the keyboard.
    (or edit|clear|contents)

  3. #3
    Juco
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Try and explain better...
    cells M7 to M14 are totaled in cell M15
    If I delete the contents of cells M7 to M14 I get this message in cell M15
    #Value!
    I think relating to the fact that the info in cells M7 to M14 doesn`t now
    show any values.
    As soon as I put a no back in the cells the message disappears.

    thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Hi Juco

    Like Dave i can only replicate the #VALUE error if i use the spacebar to
    "delete" a value in any of the cells M7 to M14. Just pressing the delete
    key on this range does not result in an error message when i try it - it
    results in 0.

    Are you typing numbers into these cells or are they the result of other
    formulas?

    How are you "deleting" the values. What version of excel?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Describe *Exactly* how do you "Delete" the contents of your cells?

    If you do as Dave suggests, select M7 to M14,
    THEN, hit the delete key on the keyboard, your formula should return a zero
    ( 0 ).

    If, on the other hand, the cells contain formulas and you're eliminating the
    values in the cells calculated by the formulas, and are perhaps having the
    formulas return a null ( "" ), you might try revising your formula to:

    =SUM(M7:M14)
    To have 0 returned,
    OR
    =IF(SUM(M7:M14),SUM(M7:M14),"")
    To have null returned.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    I just came across your other posts from yesterday pertaining to this form
    you're working up, where here, you're trying to total the formula help you
    received yesterday.

    Why not post here the exact formulas that you've decided to use from
    yesterday's suggestions.
    Describe the formula in each of the cells that you're looking to sum.
    Makes it easier for the folks around here to HELP YOU !

    RD

  7. #7
    Juco
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Try and explain better...
    cells M7 to M14 are totaled in cell M15
    If I delete the contents of cells M7 to M14 I get this message in cell M15
    #Value!
    I think relating to the fact that the info in cells M7 to M14 doesn`t now
    show any values.
    As soon as I put a no. back in the cells the message disappears in M15

  8. #8
    Juco
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    This is the formulas I am using....
    This in M15.......... M7+M8+M13+M14
    This in M7........... =CHOOSE(MATCH(D7,{0;5;7;9},1),"",150,200,"")
    This in M8........... =CHOOSE(MATCH(H7,{0;5;7;11},1),"",150,200,"")

    It is a form for renting properties if the renter puts in the dates inD7 and
    H7 then M7 and M8 calculate the rental for those weeks. The problem is if I
    send a blank form with no dates entered it has #VALUE! where it would
    normally enter the total in M15, the sheet works ok its just messy sending
    out a blank form with #VALUE! on it what I would like is for those `error
    messages to disappear` if possible.

    I hope this is a bit clearer
    thanks

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just came across your other posts from yesterday pertaining to this form
    > you're working up, where here, you're trying to total the formula help you
    > received yesterday.
    >
    > Why not post here the exact formulas that you've decided to use from
    > yesterday's suggestions.
    > Describe the formula in each of the cells that you're looking to sum.
    > Makes it easier for the folks around here to HELP YOU !
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  9. #9

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    I'm still confused at what you mean by clear. Do you mean your formula
    evaluates to ""?

    If yes, try this in M15:

    =sum(m7,m8,m13,m14)

    =sum() ignores cells with text. The add operator (+) likes to work with numbers
    and has trouble with text.

  10. #10
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Try this in M15:

    =SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14)
    OR
    =IF(SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),"")
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    !

  11. #11
    Juco
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    ok thanks that works good

    thank you
    Juco

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try this in M15:
    >
    > =SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14)
    > OR
    > =IF(SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),"")
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  12. #12
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How to display a blank cell with no error message

    Thanks for the feed-back.

    If you had remained with your original thread from a couple of days ago, you
    would have probably received a much quicker and accurate response.

    RD

    "Juco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    ok thanks that works good

    thank you
    Juco

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try this in M15:
    >
    > =SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14)
    > OR
    > =IF(SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),SUM(M7:M8,M13:M14),"")
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -