More than 2 constants in Index

  1. #1
    Ashley
    Guest

    More than 2 constants in Index

    I'm a fairly new user to excel and was able to create an index table based on
    2 constants. However, I believe to do what I'm looking for, I will need more
    than 2 constants. For example, I need:

    IF A and B and C, bring back 1. I can't use an if statement b/c there is
    far more than 7 choices. (Person will select A,B,C from drop down lists)

    Can anyone explain if/how to use an index table using more than 2 constants.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: More than 2 constants in Index

    Maybe you're thinking of something along these lines ..

    Suppose you have set up the reference table* below
    in Sheet2, cols A and B, from row1 down

    AAA 1
    AAB 2
    AAC 3
    ABA 4
    ABB 5
    ABC 6
    BAA 7
    BAB 8
    BAC 9
    etc

    (*above is just a sample listing, you would of course
    have the full lot of permutations listed in cols A and B)

    In Sheet1
    -----------
    You have DVs in cols A to C, row2 down
    which selects either: A or B or C

    You could retrieve the results of the selections
    made in cols A, B and C from Sheet2
    by putting in say, D2:

    =IF(COUNTBLANK(A2:C2)<>0,"",INDEX(Sheet2!B:B,MATCH(A2&B2&C2,Sheet2!A:A,0)))

    and simply copy D2 down to say, D100
    (can copy down ahead of expected inputs in cols A to C)

    Based on the sample reference data in Sheet2
    if the DV selections made in A2:C4 were:

    A B C
    A A C
    A A A

    the results in D2:D4 will be: 6,3,1