Count number of unique items in a column that contains duplicates

  1. #1
    Steembeem
    Guest

    Count number of unique items in a column that contains duplicates

    I have a large worksheet with a column containing a list of names. Some names
    appear several times. I need to get a count of names.

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Count number of unique items in a column that contains duplicates

    Steembeem, try something like this,
    =COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Count number of unique items in a column that contains duplicates

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A30<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A30,A1:A30&""))

    Just don't use an entire column as a range (A:A).
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    2rrs
    Guest

    Re: Count number of unique items in a column that contains duplicates

    Check this out also:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q268001/