Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

  1. #1
    Jack
    Guest

    Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly basis.
    The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on what the
    reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
    particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to enter
    this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a range of
    cells for these variations?
    --
    Thanks - Jack

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Hi Jack

    when i open a new workbook and type 1.1 in A1, and 1.22 in B1 it displays it
    as i enter it - same if i then change the 1.1 to 1.22 and vice versa - still
    only get what i entered ... so i'm not sure what you're really asking? Do
    you want the 1.1 to change to 1.10 or ?????

    Note, the format of these cells is "general" not "number" - no need to play
    with the format / cells option unless you want a specific number of decimal
    places all the time.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jack
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    This problem is in an existing spreadsheet, so I assume I must have various
    cells formatted to different deimal places. So the question now becomes, is
    there a way to re-format the entire spreadsheet such that all numbers I enter
    from this point on will be exactly as I enter them, witout having to go back
    to the deimal place icon and adjust them.

    Also, you mention below that the format of the cells is "general" and not
    "number". If I use the general format, will there be a problem once I want
    to use the data to plot graphs??

    Thanks again,
    Jack

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Hi Jack

    to "reset" all your cells - choose a blank cell (even from a new workbook)
    and copy it, then select your whole spreadsheet and choose Edit / Paste
    Special - Add

    this should reset the format back to general for all cells. Note: i've
    never encountered any problems doing this, but i would suggest you do it on
    a copy of your files just in case anything goes wrong.

    and again, i've not encountered any problems graphing cells formatted as
    general - however, i've never done any really involved / advanced type
    graphing.

  5. #5
    Kanneily
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Hi Jack, I do book-keeping in excel and need text, figures and formulas and i
    find the best way is this:-Open, highlight the colums that you want to type
    your figures in mannualy, select Format, columns and text, you can have as
    many decimal points as you like. Hope this has helped.
    Kanneily

  6. #6
    Jack
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    You mention that I should "highlight the colums that you want to type

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Hi Jack

    i think going with "general" will suit your needs - the solution offered by
    Kenneily is the situation you have at the moment.

  8. #8
    Kanneily
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Sorry Jack, a wee bit of misrepresentation through misunderstanding there!
    Probably because you only asked about decimal places, i probably jumped in
    with two feet because I use numbers, text, percentages, formula's and signs
    eg 02/01, p/p, @5% and i dont have to auto sum the columns in text - it was
    only a suggestion for decimal places, i just didn't think on the totalling up
    - too late at night i suppose.
    YES - go with julie's suggestion & my apologies to you too Julie, no harm
    done i hope.
    Good luck to both of you,
    Kanneily

  9. #9
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

    Hi Kanneily

    no harm what so ever - it's good to have different perspectives on a
    situation (one of the many benefits of this type of forum!).

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...