Is there a way to create a drop-down list of links in Excel?

  1. #1
    t_boden
    Guest

    Is there a way to create a drop-down list of links in Excel?

    I've created a list of books and their word counts for my Middle School. To
    make my navigation simpler, I want to have a list of links at the top of each
    page. It would be great if the link list could be a drop-down. The bookmarks
    are primarily located in one worksheet.
    I currently have a link list, but as the number of books grow, the list will
    eventuall spill into every subsequent page.
    Also, is there a way to have Excel automatically update the list when the
    position of the data changes?

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to create a drop-down list of links in Excel?

    Hi

    AFAIK this isn't possible with data validation lists. But there is another
    possible solution.

    Let you have the list of links in column B, starting from B2 (in B1 is
    column header, p.e. "Links")
    Into cell A1 enter coulumn header p.e. "Group"
    For every entry in Links column, enter some group identifier. P.e. when you
    want to group your links alfabetically, enter into A2 the formula
    =IF(B2="","",UPPER(LEFT(B2,1)))
    and copy it down at least for same number of rows as you have links

    Select cell A2, and the from Windows menu "Freeze panes" (so headers are
    always visible)
    Select any cell in your links table, and set autofilter on.
    Sort your links table (on Links column alfabetically, or on Group column at
    first, and then on Links column alfabetically, etc.)

    Now, when you search for some link in particular group, set autofilter to
    this group - only all links from this group are displayed.
    When you add new link(s), then fill (for them) group also (or be sure
    formula(s) exist in group column), remove all filter conditions, and sort
    the table anew. Now it's ready to use again.

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...