SUMIF - HLOOKUP Combination

  1. #1
    Mark
    Guest

    SUMIF - HLOOKUP Combination

    I have a sumif formula where the sum_range is a specific column.

    The column varies from month to month. I can identify the column by using
    the hlookup function.

    Can I return the column letter to the sumif function using the hlookup?
    Normally the hlookup returns the value and not the cell address.

    Is there another function I am not aware of that will accomplish this?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF - HLOOKUP Combination

    Mark,

    Instead of HLOOKUP, use a combination of Index and Match. For example, if
    cell A1 has a value that matches a header in row 3, and that is the column
    you want to pass to the SUMIF

    =SUMIF(A3:A100,"A",INDEX(3:100,,MATCH(A1,3:3,FALSE)))

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...