Excel to tab over to only certain cells

  1. #1
    Andy100
    Guest

    Excel to tab over to only certain cells

    I have a database in which i input values. It has Surname, Forename, Date of
    Birth, etc etc. How do i get excel to open up in cell 'Surname' as a
    default, then when i press the tab key i want it to go straight to DOB, then
    Forename ?

    i.e. to tab from, say cell B5 straight to D8 then to E1, hope this makes
    sense !!

    Also, i want to copy cell B1 in sheet 1 to B1 in sheet 2, but because it is
    a merged cell I just get #VALUE in sheet 2. How would i copy the text from
    B1 sheet 1 to B1 sheet 2 in my example ?

    Cheers
    Andy

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel to tab over to only certain cells

    One way to accomplish this cursor movement is described in this old post:

    http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

    As to the second question,

    *Don't Use Merged Cells*

    Use "Center Across Selection" instead.

    Select the cells to combine, then:
    <Format> <Cells> <Alignment> tab,
    Expand the "horizontal" box and choose
    "Center Across Selection"
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DeVon
    Guest

    RE: Excel to tab over to only certain cells

    You format your cells (B5, D8, E1) to be unlocked then protect the
    worksheet. Format> Protection tab> then uncheck the Protect box. Then go to
    Tools and Protect the worksheet the unprotected cells will be the only cells
    you can enter values into and you will tab between these three cells only.

    Question 2 easy. You right click> and copy the cell in worksheet 1 and in
    worksheet 2 you right click> paste special> paste link (button in the lower
    left corner of box). Merged cells make no differance.

  4. #4
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: Excel to tab over to only certain cells

    Thanks both RagDyer and DeVon !. Both solutions work perfect for my problem.

    Many thanks for taking the time to write back

    Andy

    "DeVon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You format your cells (B5, D8, E1) to be unlocked then protect the
    > worksheet. Format> Protection tab> then uncheck the Protect box. Then go

    > Tools and Protect the worksheet the unprotected cells will be the only

    cells
    > you can enter values into and you will tab between these three cells only.
    >
    > Question 2 easy. You right click> and copy the cell in worksheet 1 and in
    > worksheet 2 you right click> paste special> paste link (button in the

    lower
    > left corner of box). Merged cells make no differance.
    >
    > "Andy100" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a database in which i input values. It has Surname, Forename,

    Date of