Interest Earned on Investment w/Daily Compounding

  1. #1
    Liz
    Guest

    Interest Earned on Investment w/Daily Compounding

    I am looking for a function that will allow me to calculate interest earned
    on an investment such as a 3 year CD, that compounds daily.

    Thanks,
    Lia

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Interest Earned on Investment w/Daily Compounding

    If I invest P dollars at r% then at then end of the period it is worth P +
    Pr or P(1+r)
    So after the second period it is worth P(1+r) + P(1+r)r (principal +
    interest)
    This the same as P(1+r)^2
    So after n periods it is worth P(1+r)^n.
    Since it was worth P at the start, the interest is P(1+r)^n - P

    If the annual rate is R, the daily rate is R/365 (r=R/365)
    3 years is 3*365 so n=3*365
    Some people use a fictional 360-day year for these calculations

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Liz
    Guest

    Re: Interest Earned on Investment w/Daily Compounding

    Thanks a lot!
    Liz