Determine Frequency in Filtered List

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Determine Frequency in Filtered List

    Hi Folks - I've seen similar requests, but not exactly what I was looking
    for. I have a list:

    Class Instructor Rating
    Excel Smith 5
    Access Jones 4
    Excel Brown 3

    etc.....

    I can use the Frequency function to determine how many 3, 4 and 5 ratings I
    get for the entire list. I'd like to be able to filter the list by class and
    instructor, and the get the frequency data for the filtered list. Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Michael

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Determine Frequency in Filtered List

    Michael,

    Use a Pivot Table. Drag all three buttons to the row area (Rating first)
    and then drag either cloas or instructor to the data area (since they are
    strings, it will default to count rather than sum). Then you can show
    whichever combination of values you want.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Determine Frequency in Filtered List

    Bernie - Client is not Pivot Table savvy. I need to provide all stats
    without user intervention ....Ideas? I'm not married to using the frequency
    function, so if there is a way to produce the same result, I'm all ears

    Michael

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Determine Frequency in Filtered List

    Try the following...

    =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2:A10,ROW(A2:A10)-MIN(ROW(A2:A10)),0
    ,1))*C2:C10,SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2:A10,ROW(A2:A10)-MIN(ROW(A2:A10)),0,1))*C
    2:C10)>0,1))-(SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A10)<COUNTA(A2:A10))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <8zLOd.42933$B95.11631@lakeread02>,