any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

  1. #1
    Dan in NY
    Guest

    any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    I'm using vlookup for translating a code into a decode value. The codes are
    in both lowercase and uppercase, unfortunately with the same values (e.g.,
    cnv and CNV represent 2 different things). Anyone know how to make vlookup
    case sensitive? Or is there another fancy excel function that can provide
    the equivalent functionality?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    One way (albeit replacing vlookup with another formula)

    Assume the vlookup would look like this

    =VLOOKUP(A1,C2:D50,2,0)

    to lookup a case sensitive string from A1 in column C and return the values
    from D would be

    =INDEX(D2:D50,MATCH(1,--ISNUMBER(FIND(A1,C2:C50)),0))

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    try this where the lookup value is in columnc and the value you need is in
    col D
    This is an ARRAY formula so needs to be entered with ctrl+shift+enter

    =INDEX(D21:D100,MATCH(TRUE,EXACT(C21:C100,"C"),0))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  4. #4
    Dan in NY
    Guest

    Re: any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    Getting closer, but the FIND pulls in an earlier lookup decode that simply
    contains the searched for item. For example, if one of my lookup values is
    "F", your solution returns the column B for "CFD" - I assume since it finds
    the "F" in "CFD" before it gets to the "F" entry (the lookup decode list is
    in alphabetical order). hmm...tricky.

    Any more suggestions?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    =INDEX(D2:D50,MATCH(1,--EXACT(C2:C50,A1),0))

    also array entered

  6. #6
    Dan in NY
    Guest

    Re: any way to make vlookup case sensitive?

    Worked perfectly! Pretty clever - thanks again!