matching formula

  1. #1
    Todd
    Guest

    matching formula

    I need to match the returned value in one formula with the text in another
    formula. How can I do this?

    Formula 1: ='M-Z Supplier List'!B11 and returns" Mann"

    Formula 2 : = Mann'!B11 and returns a dollar value

    TIA

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    ='M-Z Supplier List'!B11&" "&TEXT(Mann'!B11,"$#,##0.00")

    or if you meant that one formula retruns a string that you want to use as a
    reference in another formula

    =INDIRECT("'"&'M-Z Supplier List'!B11&"'!B11")

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Todd
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    Thanks, that brings me a lot closer! I don't understand what you meant well
    enough, sorry. I will try to explain better.

    I need to match the text in column 1 that a formula returns with the actual
    formulas in column 2.

    column 1 column 2

    ='M-Z Supplier List'!$B$11 = Mann!B11

    When I look at column 1 the cells read mann and the formula is
    ='M-Z Supplier List'!B11

    When I look at column 2 the cell reads 500.00 and the formula is
    = Mann'!B11

    I am thinking something like MATCH(TEXT(A10,"$#,##0.00"),(LEFT(B10,3)))
    ???

    Thanks again,

    Todd

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    Now I am lost, assuming your example, what is the result you desire?

  5. #5
    Todd
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    Sorry, I am making this complex aren't I. I want to check and see if
    everything is in the right place and I can't figure out how to match the text
    in a10 to the formula in b10.

    cell a10 returns the sheet name that the formula in B10 should be pulling
    from. A simple do they match? indicator is what I am trying for.

    Todd

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    To get the text string from a formula like

    = Mann'!B11

    you would need VBA

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

  7. #7
    Todd
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    oh, thats to bad, thats not going to be practical. THANK YOU for all the
    help and hanging in there with me.

    Thanks again,

    Todd.

  8. #8
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: matching formula

    Todd

    I'm not sure that I fuly comprehend what you are trying to achieve. It seems
    you are trying to check that a user entered value in row A is matched by a
    formula in row B. If this is correct, why not use the indirect function and
    save the checking?

    '=INDIRECT(A2&"!B11",1)' will give the value shown in a sheet named 'mann'
    at address 'B11' if the user enters 'Mann'.

    You might also consider Data Validation so users can only enter valid sheet
    names.

    HTH
    Steve