what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

  1. #1
    Zee
    Guest

    what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

    I want to creat 1000 columns in one Workbook, how do I perform the task,
    and is there a limit to the Columns I can get in one Workbook. It has to be
    in one workbook.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

    A worksheet is limited to 256 columns. You cannot change that.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

    There is no limit to the number of columns you can have in a workbook, as it
    is limited by memory only. Downside is that you have to split them into
    blocks of 256 as that is the most you can have on a single sheet :-)

    Either consider transposing your data, or if you have many thousands of rows
    by 1000 columns you should reconsider your choice of application, and
    perhaps take a look at Access.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  4. #4
    Zee
    Guest

    Re: what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

    Hi Ken:
    Thanks for your answer. Could you please explain in detail how do I Split
    them into blocks of 256. I am not that well versed with excel, so kindly
    explain in detail
    Thanks
    Zee

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: what is the maximum columns I can have on an excel workbook

    A Workbook consists of a number of worksheets. Each worksheet consists of
    256 columns and 65,536 rows (These are not maximums or minimums as that
    would imply they can be changed - You have 256C*65536R period). These
    cannot be changed. If your data needs more than 256 columns, such as you
    have indicated then you would need to split your data manually across about
    4 worksheets. Depending on what your data is, and the needs you have wrt
    working with it and what data you want to extract from it, this may or may
    not be suitable. Give us some idea of how many rows of data you have that
    will take 1000 columns, what kind of data it is, and what sort of things you
    need to be able to do with it, eg what kind of reports etc.