Trouble with MINVERSE

  1. #1
    David D.
    Guest

    Trouble with MINVERSE

    In cells A1 to C3, I'm typing in:

    1 4 7
    2 5 8
    3 6 9

    I then select cells A5 to C7 and type
    =MINVERSE(A1:C3) , then CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER

    and I get
    #NUM! #NUM! #NUM!
    #NUM! #NUM! #NUM!
    #NUM! #NUM! #NUM!

    in cells A5 to C7
    What am I doing wrong ? Any ideas ?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with MINVERSE

    That means your matrix is not invertable
    Check it with MDETERM, if it returns zero
    MINVERSE will return #NUM!

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with MINVERSE

    Don't think you did anything wrong ..

    Maybe the original matrix cannot be inverted

    If you change A1 to say, 2, it'll return in A5:C7 as

    1 -2 1
    -2 1 0.67
    1 0 -0.67

    You could double check by selecting say, A9:C11,
    put in the formula bar: =MMULT(A1:C3,A5:C7)
    and array-enter with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    A9:C11 will return the identity matrix:

    1 0 0
    0 1 0
    0 0 1

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Trouble with MINVERSE

    "David D." <[email protected]> wrote...
    >In cells A1 to C3, I'm typing in:
    >
    >1 4 7
    >2 5 8
    >3 6 9
    >
    >I then select cells A5 to C7 and type
    >=MINVERSE(A1:C3) , then CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER
    >
    >and I get
    >#NUM! #NUM! #NUM!
    >#NUM! #NUM! #NUM!
    >#NUM! #NUM! #NUM!

    What are you trying to do with MINVERSE? Your matrix is singular.