Combining duplicate records(rows)

  1. #1
    Jen
    Guest

    Combining duplicate records(rows)

    I'm pulling sales per item, but sometimes the item number shows up twice with
    two different sales numbers and I want to add the two sales numbers together
    and have that total sales under the one item number. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Combining duplicate records(rows)

    Pivot table perhaps, or sort your data on item number and then use data /
    subtotals.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jen
    Guest

    Re: Combining duplicate records(rows)

    Isn't there a way to have excel analyze the data and combine the rows into
    one row when the item number is the same and then adding the sales number in
    both rows together?

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Combining duplicate records(rows)

    Yes, via a Pivot table or Data / Subtotals. Use either one to get what you
    want and then if you really want to lose the detail data, just copy and
    paste special the table as values. Then delete the detail data.

    Failing that you need to use VBA to do what you want, though it would
    probably be quickest to have the VBA use a pivot table or data Subtotals and
    then give you a hardcoded output table and deleting the detail.

    A pivot table giving you what you want can probably be created from your
    data in literally 60 seconds - Likewise Data / Subtotals

    Pivot table intro

    Data / Subtotals:-
    Sort all your data on the item number, select all the data, do Data /
    Subtotals - At each change in 'Iten Number', Sum - Tick all the fields you
    want to sum.

    --

    /