Conditional formatting based on text

  1. #1
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Conditional formatting based on text

    Hi everyone, I've been struggling with this next request.

    Is it possible to color a row with a specific color based on finding a
    specific word?
    If in row 5 the word engineer shows up I would like to turn the whole row
    green. No matter where in row 5 the word shows up. I've tried
    =IF(5:5="engineer",MOD(ROW(),2)=1,) and this works only for a word in A5.
    I can't seem to use A5:IV5
    Any help would be appreciated. Gilles

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    Try putting your "condition" inside an IF statement in a helper
    cell.......... making the true condition=1 and the false condition=0

    Then apply your conditional formatting based on that helper cell being 1 or
    0

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Conditional formatting based on text

    Hi!

    Select row 5
    Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: =OR(5:5="engineer")

    Biff

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    If you wanted the whole sheet like that then select the whole sheet and use

    =COUNTIF(1:1,"*engineer*")>0

    else select row 5 and use

    =COUNTIF(5:5,"*engineer*")>0

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    Thank you all for your suggestions. Biff's suggestions is the one that hits
    the nail on the head.

    Gilles

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    So there is no chance that the word engineer will be part of a sentence, or
    have any other characters in the cell with it, it will ALWAYS be the ONLY
    entry in the cell yes?

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    Now THAT is really cool Ken...............well done!

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    To tell you the truth I don't know if that situation will arise. Your
    solution is definitely more flexible.
    Thanks again.

    Gilles

  9. #9
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting based on text

    No problem - just wanted you to be aware of the implications of one way over
    another :-)

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03