Attaching labels when using large or small functions

  1. #1
    BobT
    Guest

    Attaching labels when using large or small functions

    column A is labels
    column B is values
    and I want output a sorted list without macros.
    This is pretty easy if there are no duplicate values, but
    I've been using
    Column C. rank(B:B,switch)+row()/70000 to eliminate
    duplicates
    Column D. rank(C:C,switch)
    Column E. match(row(1:1),C:C,0)
    Column F. indirect("A"&[row from column E])
    Column G. indirect("B"&[row from column E])
    So I have 3 intermediate columns between input and output
    Besides the obvious copy>paste>sort and without macros,
    is there a quicker way to do this?

  2. #2
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Attaching labels when using large or small functions

    Let A1:B100 house the data, including the labels in A1:B1.

    C1: Rank

    C2, copied down:

    =RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$100)+COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2)-1

    D1, List

    D2, copied down:

    =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(ROW()-ROW(D$2)+1,$C$2:$C$100,0))