LOOKUP??

  1. #1
    Ket
    Guest

    LOOKUP??

    Hello,

    I have a set of surnames in column A and in Column B. Is there a way I
    can match the first 6 characters in column A, cell A1 to the first 6
    characters in the entire column B and then have cell C1 show whether
    there is a match.
    I then need to do the same with the contents in cell A2 and so on and
    so forth.

    TIA

    Ket
    London

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    =IF(LEFT(TRIM(A1),6)=LEFT(TRIM(B1),6),"Match","No Match")

    copy down

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    Hi Ket

    =IF(COUNTIF($B$1:$B$500,LEFT(A1,6)&"*")=0,A1," ")

    this will put names from column A where there is no match into column C

    it is an array formula so it needs to be entered into C1 using control &
    shift & enter not just enter, then fill down the rest of column C, to the
    row where the data in column A finishes.

    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

  4. #4
    Ket
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Ket
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    Many thanks Julie.

  6. #6
    Ket
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    Thanks Peo, your formula does exactly what I asked for but......I
    asked the wrong question.

    My understanding is that it compares A1 to B1 and returns Match or No
    Match.
    I need it to compare A1 to the entire column B and then return a match
    if the value exists anywhere in the column.
    Can you assist?

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    OK, so you want to know if the entry in A (first 6 characters) match the 6
    first characters for any value in B? If so

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(LEFT(TRIM(A1),6),LEFT(TRIM($B$1:$B$100),6),0))

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter will return TRUE for every value in A that
    has a match
    when copied down

  8. #8
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP??

    This can be set up as an odinary formula for faster calculation...

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(LEFT(A1,6)&"*",$B$1:$B$100,0))+0

    with 1 = match and 0 = no match.

    This should be also faster than an ordinary CountIf formula.