can excel calculate a letter

  1. #1
    kristi _ 71
    Guest

    can excel calculate a letter

    i need to make a spreadsheet , with it able to calculate the letter p in a
    cell and total at the bottom of the sheet

  2. #2
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    What do you mean by "calculate the letter p"? Insert that character into a
    cell? Make it part of the formula result? Just display it without making it a
    part of the data?

  3. #3
    kristi _ 71
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    well ,,, i need it to count all the (P') ... i will put a p in each cell ...
    i need it to calculate it at the bottom... i messed the formula up somehow
    and i dont know how to fix it right

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    =COUNTIF(B2:B58,"p")

    Change the reference to the range you want to count.

  5. #5
    kristi _ 71
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    HOW DO I CHANGE THER REFERENCE .. I M NOT SURE WHAT EXACT STEPS I NED TO TAKE
    ,,, OR HOW TO IMPUT THE FORMULAS

  6. #6
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    Rewrite the formula so instead of B2:B58, it refers to the cells you want.

  7. #7
    GY
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    hi there,
    can u tell me how to link this result to another worksheet?
    say on another sheet, i would need to calculate the Ps, but would also like
    to accumulate the Ps from the previous sheet?

    thanks very much for ur help!

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: can excel calculate a letter

    Hi!

    Assume you want to count "P's" on both Sheet1 and Sheet2.

    The formula is in Sheet1:

    =COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A10,"P")+COUNTIF(A1:A10,"P")

    OR:

    =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet2!A1:A10="P")+(A1:A10="P"))

    Biff