function needed

  1. #1
    David Harrison
    Guest

    function needed

    OK, i have tried at this for hours and got know where.

    i have set up a simple worksheet for my businesses bonuses and does the
    workings out for each employee etc.

    It is split up into month by month.

    So say January there is £20,000 then the bonus will be 1.6% of that amount
    and seperated between 4 people.

    However, the £20,000 could also be a -£20,000. Now if it is -£20,000 i need
    to add it to the following months total. It is is not a negative amount then
    they get the bonus.

    Hope you can help.

    david

  2. #2

    Re: function needed

    David Harrison wrote:
    > So say January there is =A320,000 then the bonus will be 1.6%
    > of that amount and seperated between 4 people.

    So I assume that ostensibly, your bonus cell (e.g. C2) would
    have a formula like:

    =3DROUND(1.6%*B2, 0)

    where B2 is the current month's profit.

    > However, the =A320,000 could also be a -=A320,000.
    > Now if it is -=A320,000 i need to add it to the
    > following months total. It is is not a negative
    > amount then they get the bonus.

    Based on my assumption above, I believe the following formula
    might work for you (e.g. in C2):

    =3DROUND(1.6%*IF(B1 < 0, MAX(0,B1+B2), MAX(0,B2)), 0)

    where B1 is the previous month's profit.

    In the normal case where the previous month's profit (B1) was
    positive, the current month's bonus will be 1.6% of the current
    month's profit (B2), if positive, or zero. Thus, the bonus is
    zero when the current month's profit is negative (loss).

    In the case where the previous month's profit (B1) was negative
    (loss), the current month's bonus will be 1.6% of the current
    month's profit reduced by the previous month's loss, if the sum
    is positive, or zero. Thus, the bonus is zero when the current
    month's profit is (also) negative (loss).

    I think that is what you wanted. But I admit that I am reading
    between the lines. Your requirements were not entirely clear
    to me.