how to sort names and social security numbers a to z

  1. #1
    olajune1
    Guest

    how to sort names and social security numbers a to z

    I am doing data entry like participants names and SSN which were added
    without putting them in alphabetical order and I need to learn how to get
    them sorted in order, so the names and numbers correspond.

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: how to sort names and social security numbers a to z

    "olajune1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am doing data entry like participants names and SSN which were added
    > without putting them in alphabetical order and I need to learn how to get
    > them sorted in order, so the names and numbers correspond.

    First of all, make a backup copy of your sheet. Select the columns with your
    data. Select Data|Sort. Pick the column which you want to sort on.

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    GOD
    Guest

    Re: how to sort names and social security numbers a to z

    "Fredrik Wahlgren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "olajune1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I am doing data entry like participants names and SSN which were added
    >> without putting them in alphabetical order and I need to learn how to get
    >> them sorted in order, so the names and numbers correspond.

    > First of all, make a backup copy of your sheet. Select the columns with
    > your
    > data. Select Data|Sort. Pick the column which you want to sort on.
    >
    > /Fredrik

    as an addendum to this, if you put the name in column A and the ssn in
    column B and they are matched up on the same line then all you have to do I
    highlight both columns and sort by whichever one you want... but if you put
    the names and ssns not matched up in the first place, then you're kinda
    screwed... you would need to manually match them up name to ssn on the same
    line, before you can sort them in any meaningful manner: here's an example
    n1 and ssn1 are for the same person:
    names ssn's
    1 n1 ssn1
    2 n4 ssn4 just grab the name and ssn columns and sort ...ok
    no prob...
    3 n2 ssn2
    4 n3 ssn3

    names ssn's
    1 n1 ssn4
    2 n2 ssn3 you're screwed... you would need to individually
    match each name with it's correct
    3 n4 ssn1 ssn before you can sort them correctly (as in
    previous example)...
    4 n3 ssn2