consecutive numbers

  1. #1
    Monique
    Guest

    consecutive numbers

    Hi,

    I am looking for a formula that has a consecutive number range starting from
    001 and ending at 999. I do not use all of them in one day. My goal is to
    be able to revert back to 001 when the last number of my sequence (999) is
    reached automatically. This is for an excel spreadsheet that does not
    expand beyond 999.

    Thank you for your help!

    Monique

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: consecutive numbers

    Hi Monique

    Format your cells Custom=>000
    Enter in cell A2
    =IF((A1+1)>999,A1+1-999,A1+1)

    This will work until you get to 1999 at which point you would either need to
    type in a new starting value, or amend the formula to subtract 1999

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Basil
    Guest

    RE: consecutive numbers

    How are you using the range?

    In using a cell per number you can have a formula as so:
    =IF(A1=999,1,A1+1)

    Simply have the first cell as the value 1 and all the relevant cells number
    formatted as 000

    If I've mis-understood your use, could you give more info on how you use the
    range please?

    Basil

  4. #4
    Basil
    Guest

    RE: consecutive numbers

    Forgot to say, the formula I quoted would be put in cell A2 and fill down.

  5. #5
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: consecutive numbers

    If you put this in A1, and copy down, you will get a sequence 1-5, then
    1-5...etc

    =MOD(ROW()-1,5)+1

    Change the 5 to your last desired number (ie 999).
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  6. #6
    Monique
    Guest

    RE: consecutive numbers

    I should have added that these numbers are listed from A1-22 and will
    continue at C1-22 and E1-22. At any given point the cell may reach 999 but
    usually not in the same day or the same cell. Therefore, I need to format all
    of them to meet my condition of 1-999. The formula works, but I don't know
    how to continue it in cell C1. I originally created the formula for the
    number as =A1+1 in the second cell, A2.
    A1 C1(A22+1 entered)
    =A1+1 C2 (C1+1 entered)
    A2+1 to C22
    to A22

    I am not sure how to put both formulas together.

    Thanks for your help, as I am new at this.

    Monique

  7. #7
    Monique
    Guest

    Re: consecutive numbers

    This answers my question partially. I have replied to Basil and would like
    your input to the other half of the question. I am new at this and left out
    one of the considerations. Thanks for your help!

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: consecutive numbers

    Hi Monique

    Using Basil's formula (since it is shorter than mine and achieves the same
    objective), do the following.
    1. Format cell A1:A22, C1:C22 and E1:E22 as Custom=>000
    2. In cell A2 enter =IF(A1=999,1,A1+1)
    3. Copy this formula down through A3:A22 when it will change to
    =IF(A2=999,1,A2+1) etc.
    4. In cell C1 enter the formula =IF(A22=999,1,A22+1)
    5. In cell C2 enter =IF(C1=999,1,C1+1)
    6. Copy this formula down through cells C3:C22
    7. In cell E1 enter the formula =IF(C22=999,1,C22+1)
    8. In cell E2 enter =IF(E1=999,1,E1+1)
    9. Copy this formula down through E3:E22

    The easisest way to copy formulae is to grab the fill handle (little black
    cross at bottom right of cell) and whilst holding down your left mouse
    button, drag down across the range of cells you wish to copy to, then
    release the mouse button.

    Hope this helps

  9. #9
    Monique
    Guest

    Re: consecutive numbers

    Yes, this did the trick! I hope it was as easy for you as you made it for me!
    Thanks to all that brainstormed together!

    Monique