Merging two spread sheets

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ronski1
    Guest

    Merging two spread sheets

    I would like to merge two seperate spread sheets by matching the unique data
    that appears in one column on each of the two spread sheets. Example one
    sheet as 20 columns one of which is serial number, the other has 10 columns
    one of which is serial number. I would like to end up with one spread sheet
    with 30 columns where the data comes together only when the serial numbers
    match.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Merging two spread sheets

    Hi

    you should be able to use VLOOKUP for this.

    assuming worksheet A (the 20 column one has all the serial numbers you
    want), and column A contains the serial number. Go to cell
    U2 (i'm assuming this is your first blank column in this sheet) and type

    =VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$J$1000,2,0)
    then fill across the ten columns, in column V change the formula to
    =VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$J$1000,3,0)
    in W to
    =VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$J$1000,4,0)
    etc
    then fill down all the necessary rows .. this should populate these 10
    columns as required. You can then select them and use copy, edit / paste
    special / values to convert them to values after you have your information.

    Note, the VLOOKUP function requires that the first column mentioned in the
    2nd parameter contains the data that matches the lookup value (the 1st
    parameter) i.e. your serial numbers need to be in column A in the worksheet
    with the 10 columns.

    hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD