How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheets?

  1. #1
    Ray Stubblefield
    Guest

    How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheets?

    I have a summary sheet where I want to lookup a number that is referenced the
    same on multiple sheets. I desire to have the summary look to particular tab
    names and return the amount in that particular cell.
    Any ideas please?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheets?

    Do you mean

    =Sheet1!A10

    RP

    "Ray Stubblefield" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheets?

    this maybe.
    =sum(sheet1:sheet21!a1)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  4. #4
    Ray Stubblefield
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheet

    The situation is more complex. I am trying to create a summary sheet that
    looks up results contained in a specific cell across approx. 100 sheets. I
    need to lookup based on a specific reference number that is contained on both
    sheets.

    I am currently working on the TREED function using either VLOOKUP or
    INDEX,MATCH formulas.

  5. #5
    Debra
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheet

    Were you able to figure this out? I am looking to do the same thing...i have
    30 sheets that are all templates with different information on each sheet but
    want to compare on a total sheet the information from each tab same cell...

  6. #6
    raystub
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheet

    Hi, Debra!
    Let me relay the help that I got. It did work with a little tweaking.
    I am sending the thread of the conversation that worked for me. Okay?
    Peo Sjoblom is a great resource.
    Don't forget to go through it backwards!
    XXXXX
    I don't see any problems with that, if you would have asked that is what I
    would have suggested..
    I always use dummy sheets when doing things like this (I even put one at the
    start as well)

    =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED(Start:Stop!$J$19:$K$19),2,0)

    The zero at the end tells it to look for an exact match while omitting it or
    using 1 (or TRUE for 1 and FALSE for 0)
    will look for the next largest value that is less than the lookup value,
    also the array must be sorted in ascending order
    so the first sheet must have the lowest value etc. By using 0 or FALSE it
    can be sorted in any order
    Good luck

    Peo Sjoblom
    XXXXX

    "Ray Stubblefield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I tried this and discovered a few problems that were self inflicted. I
    > rectified them as follows:
    > My VLOOKUP formula did not contain the ,0) at the end. I am not familiar
    > with that!
    >
    > I believe the problem with the file structure arose where there was no
    > worksheet M305. This made it create a link to look in the currect

    directory
    > for a file that did not exist. To fix this where an M305 sheet is not

    needed,
    > I intend to create a hidden sheet named "stop" as the last sheet and refer

    > it at the end within my formula.
    > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('M010:Stop'!$J$19:$K$19),2,0)
    > If you see any danger in theis approach, please let me know!
    > Your help is so very much appreciated, Peo. Thank you very much!
    >XXXXX
    >
    > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
    >
    > > This works for me
    > >
    > > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('M010:M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2,0)
    > >
    > > or are you using this from another workbook
    > >
    > > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('[test.xls]M010:M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2,0)
    > >
    > > replace test.xls with the name of the workbook
    > >
    > > The other workbook needs to be open or you'll get a REF error when you

    try
    > > to calculate it
    > >
    > > I am assuming here that the sheets are named M010:M305
    > >

    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Peo Sjoblom
    > >
    > >XXXXX
    > > "Ray Stubblefield" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Good morning, Peo.
    > > > I am having difficulty.
    > > > Following your lead, I tried:
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('M010:M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2)
    > > >
    > > > It immediately changes to
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2)
    > > >

    > > > Upon copying down my list of search criteria, I get the following:
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D6,THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2) = 208,000
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D7,THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2) =208,000
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D8,THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2) =5,124
    > > > =VLOOKUP(D9,THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),2) =5,124
    > > > There are no worksheets is this particular workbook that the reference

    can
    > > > search, so it is returning the previous result.
    > > >
    > > > I tried:

    =INDEX(THREED('M010:M305'!$J$19:$K$19),MATCH(D6,THREED('M010:M305'!$J$19)0),
    > > 2)
    > > >
    > > > It immediately changes to:

    =INDEX(THREED('M010:[M305]M305'!$J$19:$K$19),MATCH(D6,THREED('M010:[M305]M30
    > > 5'!$J$19)0),2)
    > > >
    > > > but, happily, it does give me the correct results. However, upon

    saving
    > > and
    > > > closing, the cells contain:

    =INDEX(THREED('G:\TAX\2004\ZZZZ\M010:[M399]M399'!$J$19:$K$19),MATCH(D6,THREE
    > > D('G:\TAX\2004\ZZZZ\M010:[M399]M399'!$J$19),0),2)
    > > >
    > > > This is not a valid reference to the worksheet, but only to the

    directory
    > > > containing that worksheet.
    > > >
    > > > I do appreciate your help with this, Peo!
    > > >
    > > > Ray Stubbleefield

    XXXXX

    > > would

    > > downloaded

    XXXXX

    cells
    > > value on

    based
    > > upon a

    summary
    > > sheet

    workbooks

  7. #7
    raystub
    Guest

    Re: How can I do a lookup to a specific cell on multiple worksheet

    Good Morning!
    I was sucessful in this.
    I am attaching the thread of the most helpful guidance. Don't forget to go
    through it backwards.
    Let me know if you need additional help. Also, Peo Sjoblom is a great
    resource!
    Good luck!