Lookup Function

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Lookup Function

    Hello,

    I need some help with a lookup function but I'm not sure of the best way to
    set up my formula. The question I'm trying to answer based on my data is "How
    many days have passed until the next sale of this product?" This is the
    formula I'm trying to input in Column D.

    Here's a simplified example:
    (A) (B) (C) (D)
    DAY OF YEAR PRODUCT SOLD AMOUNT (DAYS TO NEXT SALE OF PROD)
    1 A 100 19 (DAY 20-DAY1)
    6 B 50 34 (DAY 40-DAY6)

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    -Scott

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Lookup Function

    Hi!

    Assume A1:D1 are column headers.

    In D2 try this array formula entered with the key combo of
    CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF(B$2:B$8=B2,A$2:A$8),COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)
    +1)-SMALL(IF(B$2:B$8=B2,A$2:A$8),COUNTIF
    (B$2:B2,B2))),"Last date for product " &B2,SMALL(IF
    (B$2:B$8=B2,A$2:A$8),COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)+1)-SMALL(IF
    (B$2:B$8=B2,A$2:A$8),COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)))

    When you reach the last date for a product you'll receive
    a return message of "Last date for product X".

    Personally, I think you'd be better off listing all the
    different products across a row and calculate them
    individually.

    Biff

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Lookup Function

    Let A1:C8 house the sample you provided, including the labels.

    In D2 enter & copy down as far as needed:

    =IF(COUNTIF(B3:$B$8,B2),INDEX(A3:$A$8,MATCH(B2,B3:$B$8,0))-A2,"")

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup Function

    Hi!

    Much shorter but not consistent.

    The last entries for products A and C return "" but the
    last entry for product B returns zero.

    I think it's best to replace the "" with some sort of
    message.

    Biff

  5. #5
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Lookup Function

    Either:

    don't copy the formula to the cell correponding to the last cell

    or:

    wrap it inside of an IF...

    =IF(B3<>"",IF(COUNTIF(B3:$B$8,B2),INDEX(A3:$A$8,MATCH(B2,B3:$B$8,0))-A2,""),"")

    Biff wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Much shorter but not consistent.
    >
    > The last entries for products A and C return "" but the
    > last entry for product B returns zero.
    >
    > I think it's best to replace the "" with some sort of
    > message.
    >
    > Biff

    >>> 6 B 50 34 (DAY 40-DAY6)
    >>> 13 C 275