Inserting upward pointing green triangle

  1. #1
    David Mok
    Guest

    Inserting upward pointing green triangle

    Help,

    I am working on stock market indices and I need to auto insert green
    upward pointing triangles for positive change to indices and red
    downward pointing triangles for negative change for the indices on
    excel. can anyone help?

    thanks!

    david

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Inserting upward pointing green triangle

    You could format a cell (D2 in this example) with Wingdings font, and
    enter a formula similar to the following:

    =IF(C2<C1,CHAR(234),IF(C2>C1,CHAR(233),""))

    In Wingdings font, 234 is a down arrow, 233 is an up arrow.

    Select the cell and format with green font.
    Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
    From the first dropdown, choose Cell Value Is
    In the next dropdown, choose 'equal to'
    In the formula box, hold the Alt key and on the
    number keypad, type: 0234
    Click Format, and choose Red as the font colour
    Click OK, click OK

    Copy the formula down to the last row of data

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Inserting upward pointing green triangle

    If you want triangles instead of arrows, use Wingding3 font, and
    CHAR(113) for a down triangle, and CHAR(112) for an up triangle.

  4. #4
    Rawanda
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 SP3

    Re: Inserting upward pointing green triangle

    Hi Debra,

    For some reason, I am not able to the following. As soon as I press and hold the Alt key, no numbers appear in that field. Any idea why this is happening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Dalgleish View Post
    In the formula box, hold the Alt key and on the
    number keypad, type: 0234
    Click Format, and choose Red as the font colour
    Click OK, click OK
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Rawanda
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 SP3

    Re: Inserting upward pointing green triangle

    Oh, I got it. One has to keep the ALT key pressed while punching those numbers and then leave the Alt key, then only those characters appear in the box. Thanks.