VLookup Function

  1. #1
    MacNut
    Guest

    VLookup Function

    Hi,

    I'm trying to lookup a certain column of data in another spreadsheet based
    on values that match (empnames) in both spreadsheets, and put those values
    into my master spreadsheet I have. The syntax:
    VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup)

    I assume that "lookup_value" is that first column in the master spreadsheet
    (empnames); table_array is the column that houses the values that is in the
    other spreadsheet that I want in the Master one; col_index_num is the number
    of the column that houses that data. Is this correct? I'm getting an error
    saying "#N/A" What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    MN

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Function

    col-index is not the number of columns, but rather the column index that you
    are interested in. So if the lookup table is of the format empnames,
    fullname, age, ***, etc, and you want fullname then col_index would be 2.
    Also lookup is set to false if you want an exact match.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    MacNut
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Function

    Thanks for your response. Yes, I did do that. I put the number of that
    particular column that houses that data i'm after. I also put "false" at the
    end as well....still getting either a N/A error! What else am I doing wrong?
    For Table_Array do I need to select the entire spreadsheet range or just the
    particular column i'm matching up lookup_value to?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Function

    Table array should be the whole table that you are referring across to, all
    rows, and all columns, and the first column should be the empnames that you
    are comparing against. Oh, don't forget to include the sheet name. SO all it
    should look something like

    =VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet name'!$A$1:$H$20,2,FALSE)

  5. #5
    MacNut
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Function

    Excellent! So that was what I was doing wrong, I wasn't using the WHOLE SHEET
    as a reference - i was just using the column that it was in. I also needed
    to make sure EmpNames was the first column as well. Thanks so much for all
    your help!

    MN

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Function

    Hi

    An example:

    You have a sheet Employees with columns:
    Empname, Occupation, BirthDate, ***

    with data in range A2:D100,
    and with a row for every employee.

    On other sheet, in cell A2 you have employees name, listed in sheet
    Employees, and you want to retrieve p.e. employees birthday. The formula
    will be:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,Employees!$A$2:$D$100,3,0)
    I.e. you look for exact match (4th parameter is 0 or FALSE) of value from
    cell A1 (1st parameter) in range Employees!A2:D100 (2nd parameter), and
    return value from 3rd column of lookup range (3rd parameter - points to
    column BirthDate) on same row of lookup range.

    Arvi Laanemets