Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results to a

  1. #1
    brx
    Guest

    Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results to a

    Hi!

    I have the following - a large contact database is XLS format with address
    details.
    I also have a second XLS of Australian post (zip) codes and their
    corresponding towns.
    I want to check the postcodes in the contact database against the postcode
    list. If the town and postcode do not match - i want the entire contact
    entry (row) to be output to a third sheet so I can investigate.

    Is this possible at all? PRAYING it is

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results to a

    Perhaps something along these lines ..

    Assuming
    > ... second XLS of Australian post (zip) codes

    is in Sheet1, zip codes in col A from row2 down

    Zip Town
    1111 Data1
    1112 Data2
    1113 Data3
    1114 Data4
    1115 Data5
    etc

    and > ... large contact database is XLS format
    is in Sheet2, cols A to D from row2 down,
    with zip codes in col A

    Zip Field1 Field2 Field3
    1110 Data1 Data1 Data1
    1113 Data2 Data2 Data2
    1114 Data3 Data3 Data3
    1116 Data4 Data4 Data4
    etc

    Using an empty col to the right, say col F

    Put in F2:

    =IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet1!A:A,0)),ROW(),""))

    Copy F2 down to cover the data in cols A to D,
    say down to F10000 ?

    In Sheet3
    ------------
    Copy > paste over the same headers from Sheet2
    into A1:D1, viz.: Zip Field1 Field2 Field3

    Put in A2:

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(Sheet2!$F:$F,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(SMA
    LL(Sheet2!$F:$F,ROWS($A$1:A1)),Sheet2!$F:$F,0)))

    Copy A2 across to D2, fill down to D10000
    (cover the same range as in Sheet2)

    Sheet3 will return the desired results

    For the sample data in Sheets 1 and 2 above, you'll get:

    Zip Field1 Field2 Field3
    1110 Data1 Data1 Data1
    1116 Data4 Data4 Data4
    (rest are blank: "")

    Only rows with zip 1110 and 1116 from Sheet2
    will be returned since these do not match
    with the zips in Sheet1

    Freeze the results in Sheet3 with
    a copy > paste special > values elsewhere as needed

    Adapt to suit ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    br0x
    Guest

    Re: Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results

    Thanks Max - pretty much exactly what I needed!
    You have saved me MANY hours of work!

    /me buys Max the drink of his choice

  4. #4
    brx
    Guest

    Re: Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results

    Actually - its almost there but I think one thing might have been missed :

    sheet1 (offical list of correct postcodes and their corresponding town)
    Zip Town

    sheet2 (my contact database that i am trying to correct)
    Zip Town

    I want entries from sheet2 checked against sheet1.
    I know there are a number of entries in sheet2 where the postcode and town
    do not match (user error or laziness). This causes us trouble when we do
    mass mailouts.
    I want each postcode and town (sheet2) checked against sheet1 (which are all
    correct).
    e.g.
    Zip Town
    3000 Melbourne <- this is correct - no action
    9999 Melbourne <- this is incorrect, indicate on sheet3
    3000 Sometown <- this is incorrect, indicate on sheet3

    Thanks for your help!

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results

    Glad to hear you got it working there !
    Thanks for the feedback

    > /me buys Max the drink of his choice

    Thanks! vintage this somewhere in the cellar for me <g>
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Comparing contents of two spreadsheets and outputting results

    Think just a change in the formula in Sheet2's col F will do it

    Instead of
    > Put in F2:
    > =IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet1!A:A,0)),ROW(),""))

    Put in the formula bar for F2:

    =IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5000&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5000,0))
    ,ROW(),""))

    Array-enter the formula, i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
    instead of just pressing ENTER

    Copy F2 down to cover the data in cols A to D
    say down to F10000 (as before)

    Adapt the ranges for Sheet1 in the formula to suit, i.e.:
    .... Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5000
    .... Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5000

    Note that both ranges must be identical

    For calc efficiency, use a number just large enough to cover the range in
    Sheet1 (I used 5000 above, if 1000 is sufficient to cover, then change it to
    1000)

    --
    Rgds
    Max