Look up of data in a different Sheet

  1. #1
    Pester
    Guest

    Look up of data in a different Sheet

    I am trying to write a formula where I do a lookup of anything ("same cell ie
    D10) in every sheet. I want to have the NAME of the 50 sheets in column B,
    from B2 to B51. And in column C, create a formula for each respective cell
    where I look for the value of D10 from that sheet where I do the lookup. So
    create one formula in C2, and drag down to C51.

    So if in Cell B3 I have the name January, and in B4 February.....in cell C3,
    create formula that looks the name of the sheet written in cell B3, and then
    goes a looks for the value of ie cell D10 into the sheet called January. And
    in the Cell C4 the formula looks for the value of cell D10 in the sheet name
    from cel B4, so goes to February. etc etc

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    With all 50 sheet names on column B
    type the following on cell C3

    =INDIRECT("'"&B3&"'!d10")

    and copy it down column C

    You will need a VBA to get all sheet names in your courrent workbook on
    column B

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    Try =INDIRECT(B2&"!D10")
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    Try INDIRECT

    Put the cell ref in C1: D10

    With B2:B51 containing the sheetnames,

    Put in C2: =INDIRECT("'"&$B2&"'!"&C$1)

    Copy C2 down to C51

    If you want to extend the set up to cover other cell refs besides "D10" in
    C1, simply input the desired cell refs in D1, E1, F1 etc, select C2:C51 and
    fill across to F51, etc

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Pester
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    Max, Thanks for the help. Now, what if I want to look for information in a
    Sheet or tab that is in a different Excel file, with a different path. Now,
    all the 50 sheet names will be in the other excell file. Do I need to put the
    path whole path from drive/folder etc in the cells? I try that and get a
    reference error

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    > I try that and get a reference error
    Think INDIRECT requires that the source workbooks need to be open
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Pester

  8. #8
    Pester
    Guest

    Re: Look up of data in a different Sheet

    Bernard,