Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

  1. #1
    taxmom
    Guest

    Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    Hi,

    I have been unsuccessful in trying to figure out a formula that will look at
    data in one spreadsheet and post all of the items found into another
    worksheet.

    example: worksheet 1 contains daily transactions in separate columns:
    date vendor ck# amount
    1/5/05 abc printing 504 100
    1/5/05 sbc telephone 505 100
    1/5/05 super coups 506 300
    2/7/05 abc printing 507 100
    2/8/05 sbc telephone 508 300
    2/30/05 abc printing 509 200

    I need the abc printing worksheet to be able to pull all of the payment
    data; date, ck#, & amount made to them that is listed on the daily
    transaction worksheet. Even if it is not in order.

    I want to eliminate doing a sort or pivot table everytime we want to look at
    how much we have paid someone. I would like it to flow directly on to
    another worksheet.

    Can this be done?
    I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

  2. #2
    filo666
    Guest

    RE: Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    EASY EASY EASY.... You just need to use the =vlookup() function with an if
    function.
    I mean:

    in a cell: If([Vendor column:column number]="abc printing",vlookup([Range
    starting from the first cell of vendor column until last cell of
    Amount],{1,2,3}),"")

    ex.

    cell b2 you will put: =if(sheet1!b2="abc
    printing",vlookup(sheet1!$b$2:$d$7,1,)"")
    cell c2 you will put: =if(sheet1!b2="abc
    printing",vlookup(sheet1!$b$2:$d$7,2,)"")
    cell d2 you will put: =if(sheet1!b2="abc
    printing",vlookup(sheet1!$b$2:$d$7,3,)"")

    and you copy the cells b2 c2 and d2 7 times to the bottom of the page¡¡¡

  3. #3
    taxmom
    Guest

    RE: Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    This looks good however,
    I did a test and I get an error when the error comes up I select OK and the
    system goes to the "" at the end. Is there something missing with the quotes?

    to confirm the formula:
    =IF(Sheet1!B2="ABC Printing",vlookup(Sheet1!B2:D7,1,)"")

    thanks

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    If you look in help for vlookup you'll see that you need a lookup value

    =vlookup(lookup_value,Table,column_index,FALSE)

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    taxmom
    Guest

    Re: Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    I can't believe I'm having trouble with the Vlookup. I went back to the
    basic and I did pull up the help and I'm trying to do the example and can't
    seem to get the example to work.

    Just not my day! I will keep trying. I'm sure I will get it I just need to
    figure out what I'm doing wrong.

    thank you both for all of your help.

  6. #6
    Joe Wroblewski
    Guest

    Re: Formula to post data in another spreadsheet

    Taxmom,

    One way to try it is to simply set up formulas in the ABC Printing
    worksheet to copy the main page data if the vendor = "ABC Printing".
    You'll have blank spaces but won't have to sort.
    A1 formula: =IF(Main!$C1<>"ABC Printing",Main!A1,"")
    A2 formula: =IF(Main!$C2<>"ABC Printing",Main!A2,"")
    B3 formula: =IF(Main!$C3<>"ABC Printing",Main!B3,"")
    Good luck.
    Joe W
    [email protected]