formula in cell not showing result

  1. #1
    Leolin
    Guest

    formula in cell not showing result

    hi,

    i am typing a formular in a cell but instead of showing the result it is
    showing the formula....how can i change the cell format to show the result???

    thanks, leolin

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    It's possible the cell has been formatted as text, hence
    your formula is not calculting. If so, do this:

    1. Select the cell.
    2. Press <Ctrl><Shift><~>. (short for formatting as
    General)
    3. Press F2.
    4. Press <Enter>.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    "Jason Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 2. Press <Ctrl><Shift><~>. (short for formatting as General)

    Nice tip!

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    It's part of this family of shortcuts:

    [Ctrl][Shift][~] applies the General number format.

    [Ctrl][Shift][$] applies the Currency number format with two decimal places
    and negative values in parentheses.

    [Ctrl][Shift][%] applies the Percentage number format with no decimal
    places.

    [Ctrl][Shift][^] applies the Scientific number format with two decimal
    places.

    [Ctrl][Shift][#] applies the Date format in the form 15-Mar-04.

    [Ctrl][Shift][@] applies the Time format in the form 12:00 AM.

    [Ctrl][Shift][!] applies the Number format with two decimal places,
    thousands separator, and minus sign (-) for negative values.

    RD

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    Yeah, I found most of those by playing after seeing Jason's post, I just
    didn't know you could apply a format with the keyboard.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    Allow me to bring up a side issue.

    Recently (past 6 weeks), I've noticed that I'm not able to see the *entire*
    thread in several cases each day in my O.E.
    Also, I've noticed that other folks will post an almost exact suggestion
    *hours* after the initial suggestion was posted by someone else, leading me
    to believe that they (second poster) was not aware (couldn't see entire
    thread) of the initial suggestion.

    Your comment to Jason (nice tip), made me think that perhaps I'm not the
    only person missing parts of threads, because I used that same suggestion in
    a thread that you were part of.back on March 6.

    http://tinyurl.com/3odc7

    Maybe my post didn't come through to your machine.
    I'm wondering if you are also experiencing the losing of posts.

    Is this perhaps a problem with the MS servers, or with O.E., since I see
    that you also use O.E.?

    RD

    news:e2MLw%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Allow me to bring up a side issue.
    >
    > Recently (past 6 weeks), I've noticed that I'm not able to see the

    *entire*
    > thread in several cases each day in my O.E.
    > Also, I've noticed that other folks will post an almost exact suggestion
    > *hours* after the initial suggestion was posted by someone else, leading

    me
    > to believe that they (second poster) was not aware (couldn't see entire
    > thread) of the initial suggestion.

    I came to that conclusion many months, maybe even years, ago. Often I may do
    a Find in OE for a particular person, and it will throw up entries that I
    cannot see in the NG thread. And how many times do you see someone saying
    that they posted again because they didn't see their originalpost.

    I often resort to Google to try and get a complete thread.

    > Your comment to Jason (nice tip), made me think that perhaps I'm not the
    > only person missing parts of threads, because I used that same suggestion

    in
    > a thread that you were part of.back on March 6.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3odc7
    >
    > Maybe my post didn't come through to your machine.
    > I'm wondering if you are also experiencing the losing of posts.

    Could be that but it could be a couple of other things. Could just be that
    my old brain read it and forgot it (I certainly won't forget this one now
    :-). Also, I only watch some threads, even of those I join in on, and only
    read some replies if I am not contributing or re-contributing. But there are
    some people that I monitor in the NGs because I feel that they have an
    interesting slant. Jason is one of these in WorksheetFunctions, and so if he
    posts to a thread that I watching, then I will read it. So I read Jason's
    reply whereas I may have missed an identical reply from someone else.

    > Is this perhaps a problem with the MS servers, or with O.E., since I see
    > that you also use O.E.?

    Indeed I am, and all of my excuses don't deflect from your main point. I do
    also experience the missing posts.

  8. #8
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    Thanks for the verification of "missing posts".

    Just this morning, have 2 answers with the OPs missing!

    RD

  9. #9
    type the formula as it apprears in your worksheet - please

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula in cell not showing result

    I also remember why I do this Find. Often I see a comment saying something
    like '' according to the reply by Dave ...', and I can't see the reply from
    Dave. Happens far too often.

    Bob