VLOOKUP...

  1. #1
    KimberlyC
    Guest

    VLOOKUP...

    Hi,
    In my active worksheet, I am using the following formula in cell A10
    =IF('Adjustments'!A10="","",'Adjustments'!A10)
    If there is data in cell A10 of the Adjustments worksheet, then it puts the
    data from the Adjustments worksheet into cell A10 of the active
    worksheet....if no data is entered in cell A10 of the Adjustments worksheet,
    then cell A10 of the active worksheet is blank. ( the data (if any) in cell
    A10 of the Adjustments worksheet is a 4 digit code for ex.. 0010)

    This is working fine..

    However, I'm now trying to use the VLOOKUP fucntion in cell B10 of the
    active worksheet..to lookup the description of the code in cell A10 of the
    active worksheet. The description is located in another worksheet called
    Desc.xls .....I'm using this formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A10,Desc.xls!$A$2:$B$1124,2,FALSE)

    (The Desc.xls worksheet is opened)

    The Formula retruns #NA in cell B10.

    If I type over the formula in cell A10 of the active worksheet ...(entering
    the code that the formula had there).....then I get the correct description
    for the code that is in the Desc.xls file.

    It appears the VLOOLUP function doesn't like to lookup data that was
    generated by a formula.....
    but if I enter the code into the cell....it works perefectly.

    Is there a way to make this work with the formula in A10??

    Thanks in advance for your help...
    Kimberly

  2. #2
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP...

    That probably happens because the data type of A10 and the data type of
    Desc.xls!$A$2:$A$1124 are not the same: number vs text or other way
    around for example. Try to align their data types.

  3. #3
    KimberlyC
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP...

    Thanks for the help!
    I changed the all the cells (Desc.xls, Activeworksheet, and the Adjustments
    worksheet) to Text Format and it still doesn't work.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    KimberlyC
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP...

    I found the problem...
    The the code from the Adj. ws was referencing another worksheet via a
    formula...and when I formated the "other" worksheet to Text..it worked!!
    Thanks again!!
    news:e#[email protected]...