How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

  1. #1
    Carmen
    Guest

    How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    Excel has a built in formula for calculating present value of an annuity
    (series of payments), but I am looking forward to finding a way to calcuate
    present value of a single sum (such as a note that accrues interest but is
    only paid at the end of the period - therefore only paid once).

    Thanks

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    =future_payment/((1+r)^n)
    where r is the rate of interest and n is the number of periods.

    for instance present value of 120 three years from today = 120/1.03^3 =
    109.81
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Carmen
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    Is this something in one of the add-in packages? I tried the formula and it
    gives me a #NAME? error.

    Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    What I mean by Future_payment is the cell which holds the future value
    so your formula really should have been

    =A1/(1+B1)^C1

    where cell A1 = future_payment
    B1 = rate of interest per period
    C1 = number of periods

    There is as such no formula for the PV for a single cash flow

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    You are referring to the NPV() function. Take a look at the PV() function
    instead, and remember that your result will have a sign opposite of the one
    you give the final payment. So...if you expect to receive a $100 payment in
    5 years, you will get a negative result, indicating what you'd have to pay
    OUT today to get that $100.

    Duke

  6. #6
    Carmen
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    This doesn't work either, already tried that.

  7. #7
    Carmen
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    Thanks, that gave me what I needed.

  8. #8
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    Carmen -

    Not sure what you mean by it "doesn't work either."

    It works fine on my PC. Are you suggesting you get an error, an erroneous
    result, or something else entirely?

    Are you posing your question here - and in Excel - accurately?

  9. #9
    Carmen
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    It doesn't calculate the answer that I am looking for. Someone else already
    responded with a formula that does what I need, thanks for your help though.

  10. #10
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate present value of a single sum?

    "There is as such no formula for the PV for a single cash flow"

    =PV(0.03,3,,-120) = 109.82