Spread Sheet Tabs

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    Spread Sheet Tabs

    On my spread sheet I have several tabs I created at the bottom of the work
    book. I need to share this work book with everyone but there's one tab I want
    to password protect, is that possible ?

    Thanks - George

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Select the tab, then do Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet > and follow the
    menu.........

    Vaya con DIos,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    George
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Tried suggestion - sheet still opens when tab is clicked on - don't want
    people to be
    able to see contents.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Hi

    Select sheet. From Format menu select Sheet.Hide
    But any user can make it reversible, i.e. to set the sheet visible again. to
    avoid this, you have to open VBA editor (Press Alt+F11), and set the Visible
    property for sheet to VeryHidden. Protect the VBA-project with password
    after that, and you have got maximum what's possible in Excel.

    Arvi Laanemets

  5. #5
    George
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Tried your suggestion - The work book is password protected, they use read
    only to open - so I signed in and selected Hide - which it did. Then I closed
    the spread sheet and reopened as Read Only and anyone can go to Format
    Unhide, so that doesn't provide any security for that sheet.

    Thanks - Is there another way to keep this sheet locked ?

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    George

    I think you misunderstood Arvi's method which was to use VBA code to hide the
    worksheet then protect the VBA code so's users could not get to it.

    For the casual user.........just hide the worksheet under Format>Sheet>Hide.

    Then from Tools>Protection>Protect Workbook.

    Protect Windows and Structure then password it.

    Users can see all sheets but the hidden one and cannot unhide without the
    password to unprotect the workbook. This protection is different from the
    File Protection you currently have and can be in addition to that.

    For the not-so-casual user employ VBA's VeryHidden method..........

    Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
    End Sub

    To unhide the sheet when you want to edit.

    Sub unhide()
    Worksheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
    End Sub

    You can set a password on the VBA Project.

    Be aware that passwords can be cracked, sheets and workbooks are quite easy.
    Files and VBA Projects less so.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  7. #7
    George
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Gord - Thanks for breaking it down - Appreciate all the other help that was
    offered but it was greek - I can handle your steps....

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Sometimes(most times) we all say exactly the same thing in a different manner.

    What's good about that is that the original poster gets more than one slant on
    a suggestion.

    It depends on whether you are a right-sider or left-sider which slant is the
    most comprehensible.

    Gord

  9. #9
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Hi Dord

    Actually no VBA code was meaned. In VBA-Project window you can set
    properties for every sheet manually too. Protecting after that the project
    (having any code or any module at all in VBA-project isn't essential)
    prevents further access to whole project - properties window (lower left one
    when activated) included.

    To set any properties manually, you must have Properties window activated -
    when not then activate it from View menu. Then in VBA-Project window select
    the sheet, and in properties window set the properties for selected sheet.
    When ready, right-click on VBA-Project object in VBA-Project window, select
    VBA-Project Properties and then Security, and set the password.

    --
    When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
    Arvi Laanemets

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Spread Sheet Tabs

    Arvi

    Thanks for the update on this.

    Was not thinking about setting the sheet to veryhidden in this manner.

    Good advice and an easy method once explained as you have.

    Was me who misunderstood your original post.

    I just keep on learnin'

    Gord