How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workbook i.

  1. #1
    Evelyne
    Guest

    How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workbook i.

    I have a workbook with 30 lines per worksheet. I need to be able to sort the
    data from each line below the headers from all three worksheets. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workbook i.

    Hi Evelyne

    you mean on worksheet 1 you have
    ...........A
    1.....mouse
    2.....cat
    3....dog

    and on sheet 2 you have
    ..........A
    1....rabbit
    2....elephant
    3....rat

    do you want - sheet 1 to have
    .........A
    1...cat
    2...dog
    3...mouse

    or sheet 1 to have
    ........A
    1...cat
    2...dog
    3...elephant
    ???

    if it's the first one, perform a sort on each sheet
    if it's the second one, sort of combining the three sheets into one, sorting
    them and then splitting them back to three sheets - the only way i know that
    you can achieve this is to use a macro / code - is this an option that
    you'ld consider?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Evelyne
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workboo

    Dear JulieD,

    Yes, it's actually the latter example that I mean ... I need to have the
    three worksheets sorted so that the desending order is from page one through
    page three, i.e. page one would have

    1...cat
    2...dog
    3...elephant

    page two would have

    1...ferret
    2...mouse
    3...rat

    I've not done macro/codes befoe. Any suggestions?

    Thanks, E :-)

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workboo

    Hi

    okay need a bit more info
    1) why do they need to be on separate sheets?
    2) assuming they do need to be on separate sheets you say that each sheet
    has a header and then the data - what is the header range, what is the data
    range ..for each sheet
    3) are these ranges constant - ie next time you come to do it will the
    header or data ranges grown or shrunk?

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD

  5. #5
    Evelyne
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort data from various worksheets in the same workboo

    Hello-

    Well, it's a series of requesition orders (RO) that must be sorted by the RO
    number. Each header label on each worksheet is the same - they are only 30
    lines per page so that at the end of each month they can be viewed easily
    (otherwise the list would be so long that the totals at the bottom would be
    too hard to locate for the end user). Eventually more worksheets will be
    added as the year progresses. The issue is that the RO numbers are issued in
    order as the cars come in for work, but the jobs are not completed in order
    (auto body shop work) so they are not filled in on an orderly basis.

    I would be happy to forward a copy of the template, if it's easier to see?

    E :-)