Importing from other application

  1. #1
    Reggie
    Guest

    Importing from other application

    Hello!

    When I brought in some data recently, I noticed that one
    of my fields came in in quotes (ex: "7,125") for some
    reason. And not everything in that field was like that -
    only the numbers greater than 1,000. Weird, huh?!?

    Anyway, is there a way in which I can remove these quotes
    without going through all 10,174 lines in my database and
    doing it manually?

    Thanks for any assistance!

    Reg

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Importing from other application

    Hi

    Using Find/Replace should do the trick, I reckon. Find " and leave
    Replace blank.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Importing from other application

    Go to edit->find and replace_>
    Find what - "
    Replace with - leave this blank

    Click on replace all

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Importing from other application

    Hi Reggie

    the reason it did this is that you could of had a comma separated file,
    which would normally split entries up by using a comma, but as you've got a
    comma in the number it put the "" around it to indicate not to split it up
    (did that make any sense)
    anyway to fix
    select your workbook
    choose
    edit / replace
    type a " in the first box
    leave the replace with box blank
    click Replace all

    (note, it's always a good idea to try things like this out on a copy of the
    workbook first, just in case)
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD

  5. #5
    Reggie
    Guest

    Re: Importing from other application

    Thank you very much! It did work!

  6. #6
    Reggie
    Guest

    Re: Importing from other application

    Thank you very much, Ma'am. Very creative thinking. Why
    didn't I think of that?!? I didn't think you could
    replace part of a cell without replacing the whole cell.
    Thanks again!

    Ciao,
    Reg

  7. #7