count if

  1. #1
    Help with count if
    Guest

    count if

    I need to count cells -than content text not numbers- with a defined
    condition but the cells are not follow (not a range or cells). What
    function/s can I use?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: count if

    you can use the countif function
    for example if you have
    .........A..............B
    1.....cat..........dog
    2....mouse.....cat
    3.....cat........cat

    and want to count all the cats in A1:B3
    the formula would be
    =COUNTIF(A1:B3,"cat")

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD

  3. #3
    thanks
    Guest

    Re: count if

    THANKS FOR THE ANSWER!
    IT TOTALLY WORKED!!

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: count if

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    RE: count if

    It depends on how many cells you want to count, If is less than 30 use
    =count(a1,a3,a5,c4,t8,...)
    if it is more than 30
    select the cells using th control key
    go to <insert><Name><define> and give a unique name to the group (for
    example "rover"
    then use
    =count(rover)
    I do not know how many cells can be named in a group, you may have to use
    several names of groups to get up to your total requirements
    =count(rover,spot,reX)