Recovering excel file

  1. #1
    MDJ
    Guest

    Recovering excel file

    During the saving process I replaced a very important spreadsheet file with
    another one. Now I can't access the original spreadsheet. I am really in a
    panick! I have excel 2003 and I would like to know how I can recover my
    file. HELP!

    Thanks,
    Margaret

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Recovering excel file

    MDJ wrote...
    >During the saving process I replaced a very important spreadsheet file

    with
    >another one. Now I can't access the original spreadsheet. I am

    really in a
    >panick! I have excel 2003 and I would like to know how I can recover

    my
    >file. HELP!

    You have two alternative, neither particularly attractive.

    1. Look for any backups. If the file were stored on a network drive,
    there may be a tape backup from which you can restore the file. If the
    file were stored on your own PC's harddisk and you're normally
    connected to a network, there's an outside chance your local files are
    also backed up automatically.

    2. Shut down the machine on which the overwritten file is stored, and
    find an data recovery firm to see if they can locate and recover your
    file from file blocks that would have been freed when you overwrote the
    file. This will be both time and cost intensive, but if the file is
    worth several thousand dollars of lost time to reproduce, several
    hundred dollars to recover would be expedient. If you decide on this
    approach, DO NOT WASTE TIME DOING ANYTHING ELSE ON YOUR PC. THE LONGER
    YOU USE IT/WAIT TO SHUT DOWN, THE GREATER THE CHANCE YOU WON'T BE ABLE
    TO RECOVER THE FILE.

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Recovering excel file

    MDJ wrote...
    >During the saving process I replaced a very important spreadsheet file

    with
    >another one. Now I can't access the original spreadsheet. I am

    really in a
    >panick! I have excel 2003 and I would like to know how I can recover

    my
    >file. HELP!

    You have two alternatives, neither particularly attractive.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Recovering excel file

    Margaret

    First, if "very important" why no recent backup??

    Move out of panic mode and into job search mode.

    If you have saved with the same filename, the original is gone.

    There are are third-party file recovery services out there which are pricey.

    If you want to go that route, STOP using your computer immediately to enhance
    your oppotunity of finding the file data before those clusters get overwritten

    Maybe your IT dept makes a LAN wide backup each day?

    See your IT person.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Recovering excel file

    As per Harlan and Gord's notes, this is NOT something you can recover from
    yourself - Call IT and do it now. Do NOT open any other files on this
    machine, and make that call.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: Recovering excel file

    Any chance you emailed it someone else--check your Sentbox or ask for a copy
    back.