formula help

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    formula help

    Hello.

    If I have a figure such as 4.6666667, that I would like expressed in
    Years and Months, to the nearest month, what formula would I use to do
    this? Is it possible in Excel?

    Cheers

    John

  2. #2
    Houston, TX

    Question Formula Help

    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Hello.

    If I have a figure such as 4.6666667, that I would like expressed in
    Years and Months, to the nearest month, what formula would I use to do
    this? Is it possible in Excel?

    Cheers

    John

    John:

    In your worksheet, exactly what month does 4.6666667 represent? And what numbers before and after represent the month before and the month after. Remember that whole numbers represent dates and decimal numbers represent time in excel.

    If in fact, that 4.6666667 = Jan 4, 1900, what you need to do, is format cell: Custom: "mmmm" for January, or "mmm" for "Jan"

    If 4.666666 is meant to represent April 21, 1900, then you need to do the same format, but multiply 4.6666667 x 24.

    Basically, we need to know what 4.6666667 represents on your work sheet before we can give you a formula and remember we also need to know what numbers before and after represent the month before and the month after!

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: formula help

    Well, not knowing exactly how you want the results formatted, here's one
    approach:

    If the value is in cell A1 then, put this formula in any other cell:
    =ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)&" years, "&ROUND(MOD(A1,1)*12,0)&" Months"

    In your example, 4.66666 would display as "4 years, 8 months"

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron