If is blank= conditional formating

  1. #1
    Markitos
    Guest

    If is blank= conditional formating

    Hello

    I was trying to make a formula to conditional format a cell. I wanted the
    formula to be (if the cell is blank). I wanted to make the cell have a red
    border if it was blank. I know how to make make the border red if the
    condition is true, but im not sure how to write the formula for this.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    If is blank= conditional formating

    =$A$1=""

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Markitos
    Guest

    RE: If is blank= conditional formating

    Thanks for your answer it was of great help.
    I found something rather hard though, I cant copy the formula to other
    cells, I wanted a whole row to use this formula, but if I copy a cell to
    others it doesn't change the formula to correspond with the new cell, its
    leaving the cell # the same.

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: If is blank= conditional formating

    Hi Mark,
    see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    you probably want to use a formula like =A1=""
    or perhaps =TRIM(A1)=""
    if A1 is the active cell in your selection when you do the Conditional Formatting.

    $A1 would be good for coloring the entire row based on the cell in Column A.
    ---
    HTH,