combining data from multiple sheets

  1. #1
    Allen Way via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    combining data from multiple sheets

    I have two worksheets each with different employee data: names, job title,
    shift, days off, etc. All the employees in the 2nd sheet are also in the
    1st; only some of those in the 1st are in the 2nd. The 2nd is kind of a
    subset of the first, however, the only column the two have in common is
    Name. I want to combine the two sheets so the info from the 2nd is placed
    into new columns in the correct rows of the first. How?

    --Allen

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: combining data from multiple sheets

    Hi Allen

    using VLOOKUP

    say in Sheet 2 you've got
    ..........A...........B..............C
    1....Name.....Hire Date...Dog's Name

    and in sheet 1 you've got stuff all the way to column H and you want Hire
    Date from sheet to in column I and Dog's Name in column J
    the formula for I2 in sheet 1 would be
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$C$100,2,0)
    and the formula for J2 would be