How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

  1. #1
    Earl
    Guest

    How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    I have four columns of data. The first is the maximum no. allowed, the second
    is the last period total, the third is the current period total and the
    fourth is the sum of two and three. The typical sum function works fine until
    the fourth column equals the first, this is where I want to place an asterisk
    before and after the sum. This would indicate that the vlue has reached it's
    max.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Hi Earl,
    Try this in column D:

    =IF(B1+C1=A1,"*" & B1+C1 & "*",B1+C1)

  3. #3
    Earl
    Guest

    RE: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Ken,
    Thx for the reply.
    When I apply the formula it returns *0* whether column D has reached it's
    max. or not.

    The closest I have gotten is; =IF(B1+C1=A1,"Maximum Reached",SUM(B1+C1)) .

    This is not what I want but maybe the only solution.

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Hi Earl

    try
    =IF(AND(B1<>"",C1<>"",A1<>"",B1+C1=A1),"*"&B1+C1&"*",B1+C1)

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Earl,
    Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your data/question. Could you please put
    up a few sample rows and your expected result in column D to look at?

  6. #6
    Earl
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    JulieD:

    The formula is exactly what I was looking for.

    One follow up thought: Is there a way to amend the formula to 'flag' if the
    values entered exceed the maximum?

    Thx.
    Earl

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Hi Earl

    glad we're getting there, how about
    =IF(COUNT(A1:C1)=3,IF(B1+C1>A1,"Exceeded",IF(B1+C1=A1,"*"&B1+C1&"*",B1+C1)),B1+C1)

  8. #8
    Earl
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    Thx. This is exactly what I wanted.

  9. #9
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum and add * on each side based on value in excel?

    you're welcome