unable to total a column

  1. #1
    samsmimi
    Guest

    unable to total a column

    I have a bank account that has a large number of checks clear each month. The
    check register in our financial software package summarizes by check number,
    date, vendor, and amount. When I save the ck. register to an Excel file, each
    entry that comprised a check pulls also (example: one ck. number might be
    listed 20 times with whatever amount that was posted for that vendor). I have
    been able to combine the check numbers by doing subtotals and that works for
    me. I then go in and delete all checks that have cleared for the month. I
    would like to be able to get a total of all checks remaining. If I total the
    column I keep getting a total for all the hidden cells as well. I have tried
    copying and pasting values, then totaling, but that does not work either. I
    need to find an accurate way to perform this function.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: unable to total a column

    Use the subtotal function

    =SUBTOTAL(9,Range)

    will sum visible cells

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    samsmimi
    Guest

    RE: unable to total a column

    Thanks so much!!!

  4. #4
    samsmimi
    Guest

    RE: unable to total a column

    Actually I can't get this to work either. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.