How do I keep each week's data from the payroll calcualtor?

  1. #1
    Betsy
    Guest

    How do I keep each week's data from the payroll calcualtor?

    I have Excel 2002 and I am using the Payroll Calulator template that I
    downloaded from office.microsoft.com. It's great for plugging in an
    employee's total hours for the week and instantly all the taxes etc. are
    calculated and a payroll stub is ready for printing. The problem is there is
    no permanent info. It only functions as a calculator, so each week when I
    plug in the new hours, all the previous data is replaced by the newly
    calulated data. What I would like to be able to do is keep the data for each
    week on a separate sheet for each employee: week one's data on line one for
    that employee, week two's data on line two, etc. Does anyone know how I
    could do this? Thanks for any help!! Betsy

  2. #2
    Art Farrell
    Guest

    Re: How do I keep each week's data from the payroll calcualtor?

    Hi Betsy,

    You could set up individual sheets and manipulate the data manually, or it
    could be done with a macro to remove the drudgery. Here is an alternate to
    do it without a macro and not too much manual input once you set it up.It
    will keep all your weekly data on one sheet where you can sort it by
    employee or Autofilter it to see just one employee at a time.

    1- Right click on your Payroll sheet.Select Move or Copy. Then click in
    'Create a copy' and OK.

    2- Right click on this tab and choose Rename. Type in a name for the sheet,
    such as, 'Weekly Summary'.

    3- Click on the top left intersection of this sheet and choose 'Copy'. Then
    select Edit > Paste Special > Values. This will eliminate the formulas
    which were carried over.

    4- Make a new column at the end of your data called 'Period Ending'. Copy
    the date of the period and select the cells opposite the employees and paste
    the date.

    5- If you have rows above your headings you can eliminate them.

    6- For succeeding weeks just copy the data and select the next row on the
    'Weekly Summary' sheet and Paste Special > Values. Then copy that date to
    the last column for those entries.

    This way you will have all your employee's data for 52 weeks on one sheet
    and the data can be sorted by employee and date, or if you just want to see
    one employee you can Autofilter.

    If you have questions or want a macro email me.

    CHORDially,
    Art Farrell

    news:[email protected]...