countif question

  1. #1
    Tuc
    Guest

    countif question

    Hi,

    I'm struggling with an issue that might be easy for someone else. I need to
    count all the rows where column A has the number 11 and column B contains a
    word, let's say the word 'hockey'. Column B is a text column that will have
    multiple words in it, so I need to search for 'hockey' using wildcards, i.e.
    '*hockey*'. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Tuc
    Guest

    RE: countif question

    Hi all, I finally found the solution. Thanks to past postings! Here is the
    solution that worked for me.

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A188=11)*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hockey",B1:B188))))